View Single Post

Old 03-30-2024, 09:18 AM

Liked 9,002 Times in 4,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithSwede View Post
Here are some suggestions from a long time Bullseye pistol shooter who is NRA Distinguished Revolver.

Do you have to shoot SWC? In my Ransom rest testing, RNL always outperformed SWC. With RNL, it was not difficult to get 2.5” or less 10 shot groups at 50 yards.

I used Lyman 358311. Cast with wheel weights.

S&W revolvers are not like Colts. S&W likes fat bullets, cast 0.359” or more.

For lube I use 50% beeswax and 50% wheel bearing grease. It is soft and sticky.

Cases, primers, and powder doesn’t seem to matter. I got great groups with Bullseye, 231, Titegroup, etc. You just need to get them to fly about 775 fps with a 6” barrel.

Go with soft lead, soft lube, fat bullets with a plain base. Don’t waste your time with hard cast, 0.357”, blue wax lubed bevel base commercial bullets.

Once you find a bullet that works, do NOT clean the barrel. It won’t rust with your soft waxy greasy lube. But my Ransom Rest testing showed it takes 25-35 rounds to “settle” a barrel back to good grouping if you cleaned the barrel back to bright shiny cleanness. Don’t clean it! When you get into the 2.5” zone, leave it alone.
I don't recall ever trying the #358311 design at 50 yards, but your positive comments may make such a project worth doing. At 25 yards, the accuracy I've seen with this bullet have been good, about the same as the H&G #51 SWC at that distance.

I realize 50 yard shooting is very different from 25 yard shooting and easily separates good loads from mediocre or poor ones.
The Following User Likes This Post: