View Single Post

Old 03-30-2024, 02:06 PM

Liked 6,749 Times in 2,225 Posts

I also have a couple of LCP's. The first one has a carbon steel slide, and is of the older design, although a Post-Recall model. The second one has a stainless slide, and the revised and improved trigger and sights (still rudimentary, though).

The first one suffered from a takedown pin that walked out under recoil, but a replacement pin from Ruger resolved the issue.

Both LCP's are much more accurate than they have a right to be. I've tested a variety of major maker JHP and Ball loads, but the standard carry loads I use are Speer GDHP, Rem GS and Winchester T-series, because those were the loads I either could use for quals (when my former agency stocked .380), and I could buy them for reasonable prices for myself. Come to think of it, I think I still have a 50rd box of Winchester STHP remaining, too.

Anyway, I added rubber grip sleeve to both LCP's, just to give my middle finger some better purchase under the snappy recoil of the little guns, and painted the front & rear sights with nail polish to make them easier to see and index.

Interestingly, my LCP's - regardless of trigger style - are virtually as easy to run on the usual qual courses-of-fire as my 5-shot snubs ... out to 20yds. Once the distances get out to 25-50yds, the snubs are easier to use to produce 'working groups'. Dunno if it's the bigger/better sights on the snubs, or the more predictable and familiar DA/DAO trigger pulls of the snubs, or perhaps just better stabilization of the heavier .38SPL & .357MAG JHP's ... but I didn't buy the LCP's with shooting out to such longer distances in mind, anyway.

A little while back I grabbed one of my LCP's to add to a range session for a LEOSA qual. Once again, the LCP pleasantly surprised me with how easily it produced accurate hits shooting both 1 & 2-handed.

Matter of fact, today my wife wants to run into one of the beach towns for some errands, and I have one of my LCP's out of the safe to serve as the retirement CCW of the day. Slimmer and easier fit for a jeans pocket-holstered weapon.