View Single Post

Old 03-30-2024, 07:52 PM

Liked 6,551 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
While we've been concentrating on bullets, another factor has crossed my mind: velocity. Waay back in the last century I was gifted a couple of boxes of the new Winchester target .45 ACP loaded with a 200 gr SWC bullet at 710 f/s and told it was the cats pajamas for target work.

Back in those days I could group 5 rounds at 25 yards in 2.5 inches one handed with my handloads using Speers 200 gr lead SWC. I was lucky to stay in the black with the magic factory rounds. I started wondering if it was the loads, so I pulled down some of the factory ammo and reloaded the same cases with the factory bullet but my powder charge. I was now back to good groups.

I no longer recall what my powder charge was, but it was faster than the factory stuff. The slower velocity allowed my poor follow through enough time to wobble off dead center. Moral of the story being that powder puff loads sometimes aren't the solution.

Added: PPC shooters used wadcutters at 50 yards, but the guns that did best had a different twist than the S&W 1-18.75. 1-10 was popular.
The lighter loads sometimes shed enough velocity at 50 yards to destabilize. It would be interesting to know how well the OP's loads shoot at 25 yards.