View Single Post

Old 03-31-2024, 12:19 AM

Liked 9,360 Times in 3,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlawler View Post
Judging from my velocities, I would call these mild to slightly warm loads.
There’s not much load data on the 10mm Magnum, so I was working off what Taffin published...
Yeah, pretty good velocities. Having the extra 2.6" of barrel length is nice too (-vs- my 3.875" bbl.).

I test fired, but didn't (have a) chrono, 180gr w/2400@ 18.6grs. FWIW, QuickLoad estimated 38.2Kpsi. Didn't see any issues with it, other than some jump-crimp, which wasn't unique.

LOL, that vertical split is the way just about every 40S&W I've had split looked (in my auto pistols).

I've split 10MAG brass horizontally. The Manson reamer I used was machined to tighter specs than what S&W originally cut the chambers to which leaves the slightest of a "transition" between the two cuts.

I need to try some more to reduce those transitions in my chambers, without ruining the chamber shoulder's sharpness. (I like having the option to shoot without moonclips so a good shoulder to headspace the case mouth on is necessary for that.)

Anybody else run into this? Thoughts on fixing it? I was going to invest in a custom reamer of slightly larger diameter, to clean them up, but haven't committed to that yet.

The "transition" is the faint line near the mouth of the case. They split/separate where the brass starts to thicken, as it get closer to the web. I suspect because the case doesn't freely move rearward to the frame's breechface, when fired, because of the transitions resistance on the case mouth?

I don't think it's the brass' fault but I'm not 100% on that either.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 03-31-2024 at 12:25 AM. Reason: .
The Following User Likes This Post: