View Single Post

Old 03-31-2024, 04:17 PM

Liked 18,574 Times in 7,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagaman1950 View Post
About 40 years ago, we lived lived in the country away from the main roads. My wife at the time told me about this large dog, 70-80 lbs at least, that kept coming up and would not leave. She tried to run it off but it would growl, snarl and she would get frightened and go back in the house. I didn't feel comfortable about her or my daughter going outside because of this dog. This happened a couple of times before I was able to catch up with this dog. I had an astra handy so went out to run it off for keeps. When it saw me, it growled and snarled but did was start to slowly walk off. It stopped and growled so I lined up and shot it at about 50 ft. Dog took off around to the front of the house with me following. It went up onto the front porch where I ran it off and shot it again. As it ran off, I shot it a third time. I am pretty sure I actually hit it twice, it was moving pretty fast on the last shot.

I was using FMJ in a 9mm. I thought the dog would go off and die as I felt I got one and possibly two good hits. Anyway, two weeks later this dog was on my back porch again. This time I grabbed my 44 super blackhawk and proceeded to end this dog situation. It saw me coming and started to slowly walk off. It stopped broadside, I lined up a neck shot and fired. Dog went straight down. Dead I thought. I put my gun up, retrieved a handy shovel and came around back preparing to bury it. When I got back around the house, this dog was up and slowly walking off. I dropped my shovel and went inside to grab the nearest gun, the astra, but before I could get back around, it had made it into a nearby thicket.

I searched but the dog had gave me the slip. Never saw the dog again so I guess it did die. All this is to say that in this limited experience situation, dogs are hard to kill, regardless the caliber, unless you have good shot placement.
As always, shot placement trumps caliber. A shot to the vitals with a 380 is almost always going to be more effective than a leg shot with a 44 magnum.