View Single Post

Old 04-01-2024, 07:41 AM

Liked 1,688 Times in 700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Even today ... Elmer Keith's bullet designs just Keep On Trucking ...
Maybe the old guy did know a thing or two ...
About two years ago I bought a reprint of his 1936 book " Sixgun Cartridges & Loads " except for loads with Hi-Vel #2 powder about 98% of the book is still relevant , casting and bullet alloy's haven't changed a lick . The reprint is still available on Amazon fo $10 to $15 ... and if you reload ... and want to read exactly what loads Elmer Keith used ... snag one ... best $15 reloading book I ever bought !

Note ... This is not his later book "Sixguns" ...
... but "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" 1936 , this is the $15 Reprint by Silver Rock Publishing ... don't get em confused !
Gary
There's nothing wrong with a swc, they're my "go-to" style bullet in the 45acp's and for plinking in the 44cal's (the +/- 245gr hp pictured in the above post).

Note the 44cal swc is for plinking.

The difference is all I have to do is marry the oal/throat in the 45acp bbl to the shoulder of the swc bullet and the magic happens. 3 lite bullets for the 45acp. Two of them are swc's, with the 5f cramer being 175gr instead of the standard 200gr because it's has a hollow base.

Same 4.3gr load of clays (excellent load for any +/- 200gr bullet in the 45acp/1911's). 5-shot groups @ 50ft.

With a revolver it's a little different. There's freebore in the cylinders then the leade. After that there's the bbl gap and then the forcing cone. There's a lot of jumping, reshaping, distortion happening.

A swc with a sharp front drive band/shoulder is more susceptible to this type of distortion. If any distortion happens the nose of the swc follows and this upsets the yawl of the bullet.

More chicken scratch targets. Earlier I showed 50 yard targets using a 640 series & a rn bullet. This was the 25yd targets using the same loads (5.5gr and 6.0gr of bullseye). But also in the 25yd targets are a swc, namely the cramer #26.

The #26 bullet was tested @ 50yds with the other 2 bullets. It didn't end up in the picture.

That's because it (the swc bullet) fell out @ 50yds. The other 2 actually did better @ 50yds then @ 25yds. Groups are not linier when target shooting with pistols/revolvers. If I'm getting 1" groups @ 25yds I expect to get 2 1/2" or 3" groups @ 50yds. I chalk it up to old age & a deuterating skillset.

When you pull the trigger the initial pressure/short start pressure pushes on the bullet's base. Anything under pressure goes to the least point of resistance. This is why hb bullets, long bodied bullets (wc's) or bullets with large bottom drive bands/bullet bases tend to do better accuracy wise/stay strait.

That's only 1/2 the accuracy battle. The front of the bullet is bouncing/sliding into the leade of the chamber of the cylinder. And then again into the forcing cone. Any skidding/flattening/canting of the front drive band of a swc causes the nose of the swc to follow. A wc bullet has no nose and will straiten any initial distortion out with it's long body. This is where the faster twist/spin comes into play. A fn bullet is affected more then a wc bullet by this distortion. But it does better then the heavy nosed swc's.

fn style bullets became popular in the silhouette competitions for a reason.

Keith designed an excellent bullet. But he also had a custom revolver made to shoot them in. I have a beater 629 truck gun. It will put 5 shots in a group and have 1 flier consistently.

If I were to recommend a bullet for the 38spl/50yd line I'd go with a type 3 wc like this 160gr version.
160 Grain Wadcutter (.359)-359-160-WC
The Following User Likes This Post: