View Single Post

Old 04-01-2024, 01:31 PM

Liked 6,628 Times in 2,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Parrish View Post
I have a question about this Fastbolt and thank you in advance!

I wonder about the science behind this phenomenon. What phenomenon? By now I take it for granted that barrel length at self-defense ranges does not result in greater accuracy. I can see greater penetration or especially greater expansion velocity from a longer barrel. It is said that the sight radius helps in combat and I see that when shooting quick follow-ups. But when I control the gun, there is NO difference in accuracy, in fact usually the opposite.

I have a Chiefs CS40 which is more precise than every other handgun I own. I often practice with a Model 411 and the Chief together. I have slowly learned how to hit better with the 411 but the CS40 is easy.

18DAI spoke about his CS45 and said that it was surprisingly accurate.
HR Funk did a couple of videos on his favorite, the CS9. He also said something similar to your comment, "more accurate than it had a right to be." My trainer said same thing to me watching me shoot a Colt Mustang. Now you're saying the same with the LCP.

Please correct me, OK? I think there is something called "barrel harmonics", the vibration of the barrel because of the explosion. The shorter the barrel the less this effect disrupts the position of the barrel at the moment the projectile exits. A longer barrel can flex and rotate more, the shorter barrel is stiffer with less time for the effect.

Huh? That sounds all sciency and stuff, but the spiraling response of the barrel is not a large enough movement and the bullet leaves very fast. There is more miss showing on the target with that longer barrel than I can account for this way, assuming I even understand the idea.

If I saw your target after you shot both a longer barreled 9mm, and then your LCP, I would not be able to tell which hole was a 9 and which hole was a 380. If you shot a 380 target then a 9mm target with a longer barrel, I would expect the scores of both targets to be the same. If the LCP was a better score, I would not be surprised. HR Funk shot a LEO Qual course with his CS9, and the score was the same as any other pistol he used. But WHY??

SO, first question. Is this a legitimate observation?
Second question, regardless of whether it is debatable, given the phenomenon is real, how do we account for the relative better accuracy of your LCP or my CS40?

Don't let me put you on the spot FB. You are one of the valued teachers around here, so I put this to you knowing it is no biggie, but I still wonder.

Kind Regards and Gratitude!
BrianD

Sometimes it's best not to overthink these things.

The shooter/gun grip & trigger control interface may be experienced differently for each shooter on any given day/night, as well as with each different gun. I'd not rule out the effect of breakfast and how much coffee you had before a range trip, either (or dinner, for a night range), rest, etc.

Some folks seem to expect less accuracy when short barrels are involved, or better accuracy when a longer 'sight radius' in involved, but the bullet doesn't care once it leaves the barrel.

If the load is as expected, and the bullet is properly stabilized by the bore, what you see (via sights) ought to be what you get when bullet meets target.

Folks sometimes neglect to 'follow through' on their sight hold as they complete enough of the trigger press to fire, though, or they shift their attention too soon to expecting recoil, and they fail to see the sights shift from their intended POA before the bullet is actually launched. Throw in a little anticipatory flinch, and/or inconsistent grip pressure of one or both hands from shot-to-shot, and hits may vary a bit.

Some guns, and their trigger press, may simply feel 'just right'. Will that be the same from one day to the next? Who knows?

Now, combine short slide travel with perhaps more abrupt (faster) cycling, and the sights may snap back onto target faster, feeling more 'comfortable' to the shooter for subsequent shots. The whole recoil/cycling event is over more quickly, and the shooter can settle down for the next shot.

Larger slides (more mass) and longer slide run may allow a shooter to feel the recoil longer, though, which may have a subtle effect on how the shooter is anticipating (albeit unconsciously, perhaps) it to happen. This can sometimes be heard described as 'dwell time' in the hand during cycling/recoil. The caliber may come into play, too (i.e. slower 'push' of a .45ACP versus the abrupt 'snap' of a .40). One shooter might find the 'push' of the .45 too hard, while another shooter might not 'feel' the added snap of the .40, but likes the way it's 'over' sooner. Different strokes.

The shooter anticipation (and expectation) has more effect than a lot of folks may suspect. Want to get the human factor and influences out of it, put the pistol in a Ransom Rest and have the trigger pressed mechanically.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 04-01-2024 at 01:33 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: