View Single Post

Old 04-04-2024, 01:22 AM

Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
The first question I have to ask is what speed are you shooting? The second question is what revolver are you using? The rifling in various guns are not al the same and some are made with fast twist rifling designed to shoot at specific speeds. Leading does not have anything to do with gas checks when using lead because too much velocity and fast rifling will strip lead off the bullet. Gas checks are designed to prevent the ignition gases from melting lead at the rear of the bullet, which is another way to lead barrels.

The answer is you will be fine shooting standard lead bullets at the right velocity. Since you stated that you get leading when you go with hotter loads, slow down until you no longer get leading.

Easiest ways to eliminate leading is to, first, match the diameter of your bullet with the rifling as detailed above. Too large a bullet will guarantee leading. Second is to check velocities. I had a friend that loaded 38 Special and did not own a chronometer, which I feel is absolutely essential for a reloader. I took mine out to find he was shooting 38 Special at 1250 fps in a standard M&P!! He adjusted his loads and ended leading problems, while saving his revolver from over-pressure loads. Keep loads down to standard velocities. If you want to hot-rod your loads, buy a revolver that is designed for the higher speeds, or shoot jacketed bullets.

Lastly, get a Lee bullet sizer to guarantee your bullets will be all the same size. I cast my own and am never happy with the tolerances in casting. Measuring some, I see .005" difference, way too much variation. Sizer is super-easy to use and worth the effort. I size first and then use Alox before I load lead bullets. Results are much lower SD, no leading, and better accuracy - what more could one ask for??

BTW, Missouri bullets are my go-to for cast lead.

Well i have no idea on actual velocity I am able to achieve. I do know that the 18 grains/2400 left a good heavy ridge of lead residue right at the start of my rifling.

Have just purchased 50 lb of lead ingots on amazon, oddly shipping from Roto Metals, but at far lower cost.

Just need to figure out melting pot, doubt melting in a spoon over a candle is gonna work like in some colonial era set movies
The Following User Likes This Post: