View Single Post

Old 04-04-2024, 09:11 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 813 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSire View Post
One of the things I stressed to the rookies when I taught at the Academy was that if you're going to carry gun off duty, make sure you carry a set of cuffs as well. That way when you take action off duty, you can cuff the suspect and put your gun away for when the on-duty guys (and gals) show up to the scene. Can be bad juju if you're standing around with your gun drawn.
That's an interesting train of thought that I never considered till I read your post. Once I retired with 20 from state, I went county as Deputy for a year ending with juvenile probation for the last year. Since I am in Florida now, I just carry a J frame when out and about. I have a retired badge and I still have my county and juvenile probation badges and ID's, but I don't carry any badge with me.

However, there was a time within the last 16 months that the wife and I were at a rural county park in the middle of nowhere wooded Polk Co. Florida fishing... These dudes rolled up in a junky car and all they could see was my wife. I heard one of them say to the other one, "you better think hard about it". Other guy gets out of car and walks toward wife and then sees me. I can tell he can see a hatchet on my belt in the front...He then makes small talk and leaves after I explain that he wasn't really welcome any closer. I told my wife that she would have been raped or worse had I not been there...I know it... Handcuffs may have been handy had the situation gotten worse. My wife wasn't armed....I was.

Great thing is that Grady Judd is the Sheriff in Polk County and I doubt that any altercation would have amounted to anything but arrests for the bozos I mentioned.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: