View Single Post

Old 04-05-2024, 02:56 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,640 Times in 2,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4T5GUY View Post
Thanks for another informative, thorough and fun, (at least to me,) read.
Thanks, Jim!

I always enjoy reading your posts, too.

Quote:
Definitely not the most interesting thing to me was the Brownell’s grip “expander”. Never ever knew a real one used to be available and I received all the new Brownell’s catalogs. (Pre internet.) Like you, I got sore fingers with repeated grip removal so a long time ago I made my own. Same idea/function not as professional/slick looking.
You're right, they are slick tools.

When I first saw the listing on GB, I thought they were the answer to a question that no one had asked, but they were so cheap, I bought them for a lark.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they worked very well.

I still wonder who came up with the design.

Was it someone at S&W?

Was it some clever private 'smith?

Maybe it was you, and some "industrial spy" took clandestine photos of your tool and surreptitiously sold your design to Brownell's?

I guess we'll never know.

Quote:
Maybe in your spare time you could carry on the Big Dog then TercGen torch.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've built my own for my CS40/45 and have grips to mod for my CS9.

The issue that concerns me the most about doing it professionally is that both Big Dog and TercGen have disappeared from the scene...

Having spent 40 years building and fixing motorcycles and "hand-holding" motorcycle riders, I've had enough of "customers".

Though "gun people" and "motorcycle people" are among the best people I've ever known, as soon as even the suggestion of money changing hands, some folks think that they own you.

Someone very wise once said, "Don't make your avocation your vocation."

That was driven home for me nearly every 75-80 degree summer's day when I would have a constant line of people at my service desk for 10 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret it at all.

Working for the largest, multi-line dealer in the area, selling and servicing Harley-Davidson, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Bombardier, and Sea-Doo, riding everything from the smallest minis to the largest dressers, motocrossers, crotch rockets, cruisers, 3 and 4 wheelers, traveling around the country to attend seminars, factories, and conventions was a bikers dream job.

But at times, it was still a job.

But now I'm retired and I'm glad to share what little knowledge I've accumulated over this lifetime, I just don't want to do it for money.

Money changes people...

Quote:
Luckily my 669 came with 6906 grips. 🤡

Jim
Cool 669!

I don't remember if you said it was a S&W service department frame replacement or a transitional model?

John
The Following User Likes This Post: