View Single Post

Old 04-08-2024, 10:49 AM

Liked 1,133 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Rider View Post
I take exception to Forum members slamming other Forum members for their likes or dislikes. "Lunacy" and "absolutely zero logical sense" are not the kind of comments we need to see here on the Forum! I was trying to make the point that the ergonomics of the modern S&W M&P pistols are much better than those of the earlier Glocks and help to reduce felt recoil of cartridges like the .40 S&W and 10mm. Poor ergonomics and recoil are probably contributors to why so many police forces abandoned the .40 for 9mm.
I'm not shaming anyone for their preference. People can have any preference they want to have. I'm just saying that the logic and rationale, many people, not just you, express for not preferring or outright disliking 40s&w does not make any sense. It's not a personal attack on you, but rather, I'm giving my point of view on the reasoning/logic you and others have given.

FYI: Law enforcement went with 9mm for cost to save themselves money, and because 9mm was just good enough (not better). Then you say "ergonomics," but I would point out that 40s&w often has the same ergos as 9mm. As I pointed out in pervious post, there are several 40s&w offerings in the 180 gr weight that law enforcement often used that has LESS velocity and muzzle energy than some of the popular JHP 9mm self-defense ammo on the market, so the canned response blanketed assertions that all 40s&w is snappy and has an unflattering recoil impulse and all 9mm has less recoil, etc. is not exactly true in all cases. In the case of hotter 40s&w, I agree with you 100% that the ergonomics of some platforms will tame hotter rounds whether in 9mm, 40s&w, etc... There are just caveats (platform, weight, ergonomics, size, ammo selection) to whether recoil impulse will be more or less. I'm not referring to you here, but it seems like everyone acknowledges that fact with all other calibers except in the case of 40s&w for some reason.

Law enforcement basically changed for the same reason why the military and many law enforcement agencies went with the P320 of Glock, Beretta APX, and many other options. It wasn't the best option, didn't perform better, but Sig had the lowest bid and a product that was just good enough.

Last edited by Well Armed; 04-08-2024 at 11:33 AM.