View Single Post

Old 04-09-2024, 09:48 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,757 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default My new toy-seems very nice quality

Thanks for all the comments about my newly acquired AR 15 (clone of M-16). The rifle was 100% manufactured in USA by Stag Arms, formerly of New Britian CT, then shut down by the BATF because they had a bunch of un-serialized receivers laying around. They were bought out by White Wolf and moved everything to Cheyenne Wyoming. I called them last week to get some info on this "discontinued" rifle and was very pleasantly surprised in that a real person answered, was very friendly, answered all my questions.

Evidently this rifle sold for $1349.00 retail when offered some years ago as Stag Arms, STAG 15 Retro. which is why I grabbed it for less than half and in its condition with 50 rounds ammo and a extra 30 round mag...really couldn't complain.

I realize there are many brands on the market but we (son and I) were not really looking or reviewing, just watching for a period Colt Sporter or one that looked period correct but had to be American made. The Colt Sporters seem all to be in the $2,000 and up bracket if and when you find them.

This one has the A2 buttstock with trap door buttplate, the A3 carry handle, F front sight, and the round, fat M4 style two piece handguard with heat shields. The 30 round mag is probably not legal anymore in lots of States, but no problem here in Virginia.

I agree with stocking up now on ammo. CMP has some real decent deals on Federal bulk, as well as my local LGS so I'm guessing this is almost as popular as 9 mm these days, which keeps the price "reasonable" (lots of supply, competition, etc.).

Sure wish it were the same for 32-20 WCF!

Anyway...I like the A2 "solid" buttstock, retro style. I remember bayonet and hand-to-hand training in the Army, and a walnut M1, or walnut stocked M-14, would surely crack the jaw/skull of anyone receiving a butt-stroke. Don't know how it works with a A2 plastic if you had to do it, but for sure those collapsible stocks that they peddle today look flimsy and I guess "cheek-weld" doesn't mean anything anymore so "spray and pray"?

Thanks again for all the comments....they are fun at the range!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stag Arms logo + ser no.jpg (59.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SA-15 left side mag in.jpg (50.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SA-15 front site flash hider.jpg (39.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SA-15 rear site right.jpg (48.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg AR-15 Delta Ring.jpg (25.0 KB, 24 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 4 Users Like Post: