Thread: Value of Powder
View Single Post

Old 04-09-2024, 01:19 PM

Liked 7,168 Times in 3,040 Posts

[QUOTE=6string;141974702]I could see the right buyer paying $200, maybe a little more, for that 5lb can.[/QUOTE

Holy Crapo... I know the powder was hard to get. I asked the question on another site and got a PM offered me 300 bucks. 4831...I don't know if Hodgdon sold it in paper sacks bur the old 4831 was sold and shipped in quantities up to 100 pounds(70 dollars delivered Railway Express. I bought a couple. Wore the first 100 lb can out in under 2 years. I do know that the large kegs had a paper wrap inside. . All that 4831 was WWII surplus powder for 50 BMG and possibly 20 MM.. I've never had any canister powder go bad. I have seen some with rust dust. (4320) and maybe one other. I knew a few of the ballisticians and some chemists from the old Dupont co. Shot skeet and trap with some...and Hal Dupont. The chemists told me if the powder still had a reasonable bit of smell...dump the powder in a small strainer to get the rust dust out and load it. . Worked fine. Not many know but most powders are stored in powder magazines out in the cold and heat. I have had one can of powder fume up and eat the can. It was a Powder Hodgdon sold as Surplus. I can't remember the number but they only had one small lot of it according to them. I still have 2 more cans. I was talking with the Hodgdon people at the Shot Show They were next to our booth. I had bought an estate and the lady had filled all of the powder cans full of water. The told me flake and ball powders can be dried out and used. I tried it with a pound of L'il Gun...loaded it in 22 Hornet Compared to new L'il Gun...velocities were statistically identical. And yes I shot skeet with the aggravating 28 ga. couldn't break a 100 with the darn thing. In 5 years shot a lot of 99s with darn thing...19 times I had 99s missing a target at either station 5 or 6 in the last round. I had a few 100s with the 410 and I was annoyed. I was shooting at a shoot with an All American skeet shooter(Wayne Mayes). Straight to station 6 last round. I gave him an extra shell and said Wayner...If I miss at 6 I want you to shoot me. He just said OK matter of fact like. It worked. I had 7 more 100s that year in the 28. 20 ga was my gun. I didn't shoot the 12 ga...used the 20 in it
The Following 2 Users Like Post: