Thread: Hunting set up
View Single Post

Old 04-10-2024, 04:17 PM

Liked 2,627 Times in 1,141 Posts

My only scoped handguns are T/C Contenders and a Remington XP-100R. I learned the hard way that you're better off with very low magnification. The Contender barrels have fixed four-power Leupolds and it's damned hard to hold that much magnification steady offhand. The XP-100R wears a Burris 3-12X AO and even at 3X it's wobbly offhand, partially due to the gun's weight and its rear grip stock placing all the weight way out there. But from a rest or off its bipod with the magnification cranked up, it's great for varmints.

I bought the Contenders in the 1980s when handgun scopes didn't offer a lot of choice and and dot optics didn't exist. The Burris scope was won on a raffle ticket and sat in its box until I bought the XP-100R 20 years ago. XP-100Rs were only made during 1998, the last year of XP-100 production and have a gray fiberglass copy of the Custom Shop Kevlar stock. I now have dot optics on two S&W 22LR autoloaders, a 22A-1 and a 41.

Are you aware that even current production 41s are no-dash guns? I wasn't until I bought mine new a year ago.

Ed

Last edited by AveragEd; 04-10-2024 at 04:19 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: