View Single Post

Old 04-13-2024, 08:13 AM

Liked 775 Times in 184 Posts
Default Remington Model 81 Woodsmaster

So yesterday I stopped in to say "Hi" at the shop I worked at up until I retired in '22. After making the rounds of all my old compadres and getting all the hunting and fishing stories out of the way, I wandered over to the used gun rack, where I was stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of this beautiful old Remington rifle. Now, I've seen, handled, cleaned and sold a good number of 81s over the years, but I've rarely seen one as clean as this. Plus, it's chambered for .300 Savage. Plus, it has the vintage Redfield receiver sight mounted on the back of "the hump". Plus, the price. They had this gun priced at $299.99. I didn't hesitate a second. So I got out my ID and filled out the form and they ran the background check and I passed it instantly and they finished up the paperwork and then he rang it up and... I had completely forgotten. When I retired, the store owner had, in appreciation of everything I had done for him, extended my employee discount in perpetuity. Not gonna say exactly what I paid, but I did have change left over from $200.
IMG_5408.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg
It's been a long, long time since I found such a crazy good deal. I honestly never really thought about owning one of these awesome old rifles, but once I got it home, I can't imagine parting with it. It dates to November '48, and it cleaned up very nicely. Now, I just have to find a box of .300 Savage ammo.