View Single Post

Old 04-14-2024, 02:18 PM

Liked 16,904 Times in 4,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteve View Post
We had Record vises and tools in the shop where I had my first job. They weren't exactly new when I got there, but they all worked just fine.
"O how the mighty have fallen". I think the old Record UK (C & J Hampton) were made until about 2000, at which point they were bought by Rubbermaid, then Irwin. Several years ago Lee Valley Tools still had a few UK- made ones but they're long gone now.

The new "forrin-made" ones are probably just fine for general use, though, just like the off-shore ones from Yost and Wilton, who also make some in the US, and the prices reflect this. The quality of the casting is what seems to be the main difference and unless they're used hard and/or regularly it probably doesn't make a lot of difference for most of us.

My main vise (vice) is a very heavy un-named 5" one that just says "JAPAN" on it, which I got in a 2nd-hand store for about $50 several years ago. Every once in a while I see an old Columbia or other US-made vise and have been tempted to pick it up "just because". (ie because I like old tools!)

My other next-door neighbour has an Australian-made DAWN vise which I cleaned up for him. I'd never heard of them but I think they're still around and seems to be qood quality.