View Single Post

Old 04-15-2024, 01:29 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 46,163 Times in 4,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARE View Post
Is your gun a BSR? Were there .38 M&Ps in .38 S&W that were not BSRs?
I know very little about the M&Ps, as I own very few of them. I saw DWalt, responded above with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
Its SN would put its shipment to probably be in 1936, plus or minus a year. Therefore it could not be a BSR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARE View Post
Is the box you show correct for this gun? In SCSW 4th the lowest number I see for a BSR says beginning around 680,000. Your gun 652,268. History of Smith & Wesson says production began March 11, 1940 but does not list a starting number.
I do not know if the box is the correct or not. It does not number to the gun, but it is for the correct 5" barrel length. The box SN is 650747, only 1521 SNs lower than the gun.

It was a box that I purchased years ago (for about $35 or so if I recall correctly). I never had anything to put in it, and since I like to store my guns in a period correct box, this one seemed to fit the bill... AND I really like the "patent boxes" - guns just look cool in them. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I've got the wrong era box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
...It is possible that it could have a substituted barrel and cylinder. What are the SNs on the barrel and cylinder?
The SN on the barrel and cylinder match, but the SN on the barrel has a "V" in front of it (there is no "V" on the butt SN)... One knowledgeable forum member thinks that it is a Victory model, but that the V was somehow removed from the butt when the gun was prep'd/buffed for engraving.

I have a ship date request into Roy, so hopefully I will find out something that adds a little more light on this...

M&P, 5", Blue, 652268

Last edited by RKmesa; 04-15-2024 at 01:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: