View Single Post

Old 04-16-2024, 11:30 AM

Liked 1,203 Times in 627 Posts

The $350 offer by the shop does not surprise me. In fact, I'm surprised they offered that much! Pawn shops and gunshops have never and probably will never offer to buy (or give trade in value) anything close to a reasonable figure on a quality firearm. I knew a guy a few years ago who worked in a pawnshop who said the standard procedure for that shop was to offer 30% of the gun's actual worth. So on a Model 19 Smith's fair market value of $800, they would offer $240. Then the gun is placed in the cabinet for sale at $900-$1000. After it sits for a couple of months, they would take $750-$800 cash for it (with 9% tax added of course) and make the buyer think he is getting a good deal. They still make a tremendous profit. They do the same things with diamonds, watches, and jewelry brought it to pawn or sell. Pawn shops and gunshops have gotten so high the last few years on their guns and knives that it is laughable but uninformed people or desperate people still sell their stuff to them very cheap or pay their outrageous prices for items. I live in an area where there are several riverboats for gambling. People get addicted to gambling and they bring in items to the local pawnshop, including firearms, to get whatever they can to have enough money to get right back to the boat to feed their addiction. They sell or pawn very valuable items. That is very sad but happens alot. I realize that the gunshops and pawnshops have to make money to run their business and they are not forcing people to sell stuff to them but they will just have to make their money by taking advantage of someone else besides me!
The Following User Likes This Post: