View Single Post

Old 04-16-2024, 04:40 PM

Liked 34,784 Times in 8,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomea View Post
... After about 20 minutes or so, the rabbit finally expires and the hawk drags it under some bushes and gets to it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuluf View Post
Sat at breakfast table one morning, wondering why it was raining dove feathers. Mr. redtail in a tree feeding.
That reminds me...

Mrs Chad fed birds, until the rodents caused problems and I put a stop to it. Hawks have always cruised the subdivision looking for an easy meal and bird feeders are their favorite bait piles.

I was outside one morning and saw a large pile of blue/grey feathers in the front yard. My neighbors son was outside, so I called him over. He was about 7 years old at the time and he's now in his 3rd year at MSU studying civil engineering. Time flies... I showed him the pile and asked if he knew what kind of bird it was. He replied; Blue bird?

I told him that was a good guess, but it was a dove. Ahhh! He had seen me processing deer in my garage before and knew I was a hunter. I asked him if he knew what killed the dove and he replied; You did?

About 5 years ago, another neighbor found the remains of a mostly eaten turkey in the front yard one morning and called me over. That urban dweller apparently wasn't smart enough to roost and provided a good meal for a coyote.

Mother nature doesn't take pity on the weak or dumb...