View Single Post

Old 04-17-2024, 03:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,321 Times in 232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxenro View Post
Ok I know never refinish a firearm. Unlike a car where a high quality restoration enhances the value firearms, knives, etc. should never be refinished and with coins you don’t even want to clean them. Doing so destroys the collector value

But let’s say we are talking a 32 S&W single action top break with maybe 40% nickel remaining. On a really good day the guns worth $300 but that would be a lot. There are just far too many out there in better condition and they aren’t that desirable to begin with. The 38’s and 44’s are far more desirable than the little pocket 32’s and unless there is some proven uniqueness, like a certified famous owner or unique feature, they really don’t have any historical relevance

The problem that I see isn’t so much destroying the collectors value, a $250 gun with a $1,000 restoration will still probably bring $250, but just that. The refinish doesn’t increase the value so from a financial standpoint it is money down the drain.

Simply put you end up with a gun with a lot more invested in it than it’s worth. Is that an issue? Depends on the individual. Have you harmed or destroyed anything? In this case I don’t think so. I wouldn’t restore a rare, desirable, or unique firearm but a run of the mill one with little value to begin with? I don’t think from a historical standpoint it matters just from a financial one
You ask an interesting question. Many purists on this forum will state a restoration and/or refinish or any modifications diminishes collector value but there is hypocrisy I’ve found! It seems any S&W factory refinish gets a pass! There have been many RM, NRM, TL and various rare pre war S&W revolvers, many with excellent provenance, that have been sent back to the factory for refinishing, both re nickel and re bluing, sometimes many years later from the date of manufacture.

These guns seem to all get a pass from the collectors because the factory did the refinish. A factory refinish certainly doesn’t harm collector value I’ve seen. Yet a non factory refinish, perhaps even better done than the factory, does not get a pass! Oh the horror, the horror the purists shout! Also non factory engraving gets a pass when done by a notable engraver as well as period correct aftermarket sights and grips, all get a pass.

Many purists shake their fist at the sky and gnash their teeth when discussing Heavy Duty and Outdoorsman’s with cylinders bore out to 357, a common modification of the times, yet I can assure you some of these same people have one right now in their safe which is bored out but they dare not slip a 357 into the cylinder lest they find out the truth!

In fact I would suspect more than a few collectors on this forum have a Chicoin refinished cylinder or barrel on their vintage S&W revolver that they will take to the grave before announcing this! All is not as it appears I suspect. Some purists I’ve seen on the Colt forum take it to the extreme, opining that so much as replacing a screw ruins the collector value!

So to sum up:

Factory refinish by S&W gets a pass.

Non factory engraving not only gets a pass, but done by a notable master engraver greatly enhances the value.

Non factory refinish does not get a pass! Even if better done than the factory!

Modifications as a general rule do not get a pass unless done by Hamilton Bowen and maybe a couple other notable custom revolver-smiths.

And lastly restorations. The purist on this forum do not give a pass! Why waste your money it’s a shooter they say! Or they will be mildly condescending, “gee, your lucky you have a nice shooter, I could never shoot mine.” I personally feel that a Turnbull or C&S restoration for example, is perfectly acceptable and can be quite beautiful to behold. I believe there is nothing wrong with this if it pleases the owner.

Here is my S&W Registered Magnum beautifully restored by Cylinder & Slide with Keith Brown grips and yes I do shoot it!

Last edited by brendonjames65; 04-17-2024 at 03:49 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: