View Single Post

Old 04-18-2024, 05:08 PM

Liked 7,008 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie View Post
Kinman, I agree with most everything you have said, except the remark about Snap-On Tools line of Blue Point Tools being made in Taiwan. I don’t know your age or background but I spent 47 years working on cars and trucks, starting in 1957. I quit finally in 2007 and still work on my vehicles and a friends vehicle once in a while. When I graduated high school in 1959 my Mom and Dad bought me a nice Snap-on Tool Box (4 drawer, top tray) full of Snap-on tools and some Blue Point tools, box ends, combination, open ends, sockets, both 1/2” drive and 3/8” drive and screwdrivers and Pliars and crescents, and ratchets. Over 50 or so years I purchased mostly Snap-On tools but also Mac, Matco, Craftsman, and many more. I agree that we don’t make anything in the USA like we used to and it’s a shame.

Snap-On’s line of Blue Point Tools were never made in China to my knowledge. Unless something has changed the Blue Point line was made in the USA. I’ve posted 2 pictures of Blue Point open end wrenches with USA shown on the reverse side. I know you remember when Snap-On dated they’re tools from year to year with numbers, then alpha prefix and I don’t know how they’re dating system works now. Notice the number 9 shown on the back side of the wrenches. These Blue Point open end wrenches are from my original set manufactured in 1959.
James, With all respect I am not intending to start an argument. I have a set of combination open/box end ratcheting wrenches in both metric and standard that are on one side marked BLUE POINT, on the other side they are marked BOER and in very small print TAIWAN. These wrenches were purchased off the Snap-On truck at the maintenance facility I worked at probably in the vicinity of 15-20 years ago. It was explained to me when I questioned the dealer that Blue Point was Snap-Ons entry level. I was attracted to their all metal construction and fine gearing, contrary to many tool manufacturers going to plastic switch levers. I have found in many cases that compared to some American manufacturers tools manufactured in Taiwan provide much more bang for the buck. I will use Delta vs Jet electric tools as an example. Years ago I was researching a purchase of electric tools not only for myself but others. I found that although Delta and Jet were basically the same tool when it came to Lathes, Drill Presses, etc. Jet produced in Taiwan was still using copper windings in their electric motors, Delta was trying to save money and used aluminum. Copper is far superior and produces a cooler running and high efficiency motor. I went with Jet and have never had a lick of trouble with any of my large electric tools.

Last edited by Kinman; 04-18-2024 at 05:11 PM.