View Single Post

Old 04-19-2024, 12:31 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregrassguy View Post
Looks like someone made a target revolver out of parts. The frame may be a commercial 1917 but it is hard to tell since the serial number has been removed. The 83269 number is an assembly number, not the serial. So, the frame has no valid serial number. The sights are not S&W but I don't recognize the manufacturer. Is there a serial number on the rear face of the cylinder? Does it match the serial under the barrel?

For help on posting pictures, see Video Tutorials on Posting Pictures.
Thanks, Wiregrassguy - yes, you are correct - the frame does not have a valid serial number. The number on the cylinder is 18834.

Thanks for the instructions on the pics - for some reason the dialog box to upload photos is not working for me. I just tried again uploading the pic of the cylinder # above.

I read up on the 1917 in the S&W Catalog and you may be right - the frame does have signs of a commercial 1917 - the eagle with S2 would be a 1917, and the S&W marking on the left side would be a commercial 1917 variant, per the book.

Wouldn't a commerical 1917 have a SN on those two spots? Perhaps someone erased them? The bottom of the barrel seems to have been filed when I compared to the pics posted above...

Last edited by CKPOMEH; 04-19-2024 at 01:24 AM.