Thread: Bodyguard .380
View Single Post

Old 04-21-2024, 06:20 PM

Liked 368 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Been considering the swapping idea. I have done a fluff n' buff on the offending gun, and handcycled the slide 500 times.
For now, I'm waiting on the replacement spring; once it's in hand, we'll see what happens.
Before swapping anything, I've been thinking about how to make sure things get back where they belong. Unhappily, the malfs don't happen every time, and there's a limit to how much time and ammunition to waste.
The problem gun is finally good enough for practice.
Thanks,
Moon
That's a good point. How much money should you spend on this thing??
I have a Colt Mustang. I am pretty good with it, if you will forgive me saying so myself. It makes me want to make it work. It is known down through the years as being unreliable for many many people. For the way I use it, it is perfectly reliable. I am sure that any of these too little 380's must have everything just so even the LCP and the Glock 42.

I learned that mine gets a crusty carbon ring right where the case mouth head spaces. The fired case will start sticking there after about 50 rounds depending on how dirty the round is, e.g. Win White Box FMC. Looking in there I can see that the lip that is supposed to stop the case mouth is too thin on one side. The case kind of pushes in there and gets a little stuck even when it is completely clean, but if a little carbon is in there it will not extract if the extractor slightly out of adjustment.

So, I clean that area with a paste bore cleaner until it is gleaming. I will "plunk test" those winchesters so that they will fall right out. At the range after this it never fails until I have dirtied it back up.

Anyway I am glad you got it working enough to do what you need it to do.

Kind Regards!
BrianD