View Single Post

Old 04-21-2024, 11:20 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
#18834 definitely left as a 44 because that number has to be in the 44 number series. Commercial 1917s continued the numbers attained in the military series and would be 6 digits.
God only knows what work the Service Dept did as signified by the Diamond S on the grip frame. The barrel was not fitted by the Factory. The crudely filed notches for the mushroom knob show that, and they would have numbered it.

S&W Hand Ejector - 2nd model with mods?-img_8846-jpg

The rear sight is marked "Marble's".
The front ramp may be as well.
Marble's also made Sheard gold beads like yours.

S&W Hand Ejector - 2nd model with mods?-img_8849-jpg

S&W Hand Ejector - 2nd model with mods?-img_8844-jpg
Thanks, Handejector!

All good points, and yes - this is for sure a 44 SPL frame - the number 4 on the left side of the grip frame indicates this (read it in the SWSC).

Also, the diamond S on the left side of the frame indicates re-work at the factory and a refinish in Standard blue, and the 459 (also there) indicates the month and year (April 1959) - all that was also in the SWSC.

The only stamp I have not figured out from the left bottom of the grip frame is 72. Any guesses on what it might mean?

As to the sights, I have to admit that the sight picture resembles a rifle - very thin and crisp (due to the gold?) front sights in between the rear U notch. Definitely someone was looking to make a marksman version of the revolver.

Researching this old N frame has been fun! Thank you all for all the inputs - they were instrumental into getting to the details below - I appreciate you all!

Last edited by CKPOMEH; 04-21-2024 at 11:49 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: