View Single Post

Old 04-22-2024, 12:47 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,144 Times in 2,186 Posts

It was definitely an issue gun. He was a grunt. There is a story behind it. The "leather" they were issued was truly ancient. Stitching was going to hell. He was in the main gate guard shack on night watch with a buddy. They would sit on the desk so they could see the traffic approaching. They would take turns going out of the shack to interact with traffic. In Kansas in the winter that was a thing. So this car comes up, my dad jumps down off the desk. Stitching in the holster fails. Revolver falls to the concrete floor, lands on it's hammer and puts a bullet thru the front door about 5'10" off the floor. Didn't hit anybody or anything. Major investigation. Fortunately the Lt. actually looked at stuff. The hole thru the door was at a very clear up angle. Ding in the floor. Cement powder in the checkering on the hammer. Holster obviously falling apart. My dad came out of it OK and they pulled all those old holsters out almost immediately and replaced them. He told me that story many years ago before his memory started to get foggy so I strongly suspect it is accurate. It is the sort of thing a guy would remember I suspect.
The Following User Likes This Post: