Thread: K22s
View Single Post

Old 04-24-2024, 05:16 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 15,352 Times in 3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I found myself in about the same state of affairs about 8 years ago when I had my Faux Model 16-3 built. I was fortunate enough to obtain a NOS K-32 barrel and built the gun from there. At the time, differences between pre- and post War cylinders was discussed and the general consensus was that about an equal amount of fitting would be required to install it in a pre War frame. Take it as a given that to make the rim fire cylinder “correct” in a CF frame, the rear face must be milled off toe lei instead the rim recesses used only in rim fire and magnum chamberings. With this don, fitting the cylinder to a pre War 38 target frame should require minimal work.

Gary, if you have the proper barrel, the biggest part of your project is already done. Any decent revolver smith should be able to alter a 22 cylinder to 32 and marry all of the parts into the complete copy of the pre War K-32 Target you seek. If you would like, I’ll text you the article I wrote for the CBA Journal documenting the building of my faux Model 16-3. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I’ll dig it out for you.

Froggie

PS If you’re making a K-32 Magnum of some stripe, it’s simpler to keep the recessed chambers... that’s what I did on Project 616. OTOH, sleeving any chamber for a smaller cartridge, while do-able, is a lot of work. I’d only do that as a last resort.
My buddy paplinker is the dreamee on this project. I am just enabling, like we do around here. When I measured the two cylinders, it seemed obvious to me that the post war cylinder would work. The cylinder on my M&P target is .06" shorter than the 22 cylinders. That happens to be the head thickness on the 32 case, so machining that off or counterboring would do the trick there. If you counterbored the cylinder you could use the extractor from the 22, if you faced it off, I think the extractor from the 38 would work.

I have a 1950s K22, maybe I'll pull the cylinder off and see if it fits in that 38 m&p target.

Then I remember that this is Rich's project not mine....what am I doing here?
SWCA #2906, SWHF #760