View Single Post

Old 04-26-2024, 02:53 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoore View Post
It might not be pertinent for collectors, but I knew some GSP troopers back when these were issued and they were happy with them until they started having lack of penetration problem through vehicles, especially glass obstructions. As I recall, upon the revolvers' mass replacement those that weren't purchased by the troopers were sold to a "cop shop" in Dekalb County. (Unless those were 25-5s from Doraville? Sorry, didn't keep notes way back then!) The name of the store may come to me at some point. Or if i can locate an old friend who worked there...

BTW, I'm pretty sure the issue ammo was the Federal 225gr LSWCHP.

ETA: It would seem the supply store is defunct. Nothing pops up in the area with a Google search.
The .45 Colt 26-1 was never an issue gun for the GSP, nor do I think any were ever carried as duty guns. It was a commemorative gun done for them by S&W and GT Distributors, the law enforcement distributor for Smith and Wesson. GT didn't buy the excess, they were the ones that sold all of them, spec'ing the gun with S&W, getting them engraved, having cases built, etc. There were a small amount of extra guns left over that were not made into commemoratives. I got two of them at the time from my old friend the late Bill Orr, founder of GT and highly respected S&W collector.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: