View Single Post

Old 04-26-2024, 03:54 PM
US Veteran

Liked 21,883 Times in 6,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raljr1 View Post
I don't know about these, but my son enlisted in the Florida National Guard and because had an MBA, he went thru basic as an E4. Of course he took a little grief from the DIs over it. They nicknamed him "Dictionary" and made him introduce a new word to the platoon on a regular basis.

He tells me about being on the firing range with the Beretta, and it was hitting to the left. He asked the sergeant if he could adjust the sights, and the sergeant said, "Just shoot that pistol soldier." So son adjusted his point of aim. Then someone from the pit looked at his target and yelled back to the sergeant, " We got someone doing surgery over here!" Son is a good shot.

He enlisted instead of OCS because the loan repayment for enlisted was better that for officer candidates. He is still in the guard, he's an E6. Did two tours, one in East Africa and the other as a door gunner on a Chinook in Iraq.
The Corps and the Navy had stopped the Contract E-4 Program before I retired. The non contract folks had no real respect for them as NCO as they had no knowledge or experience to go behind their rank. We called them "Contract Cpls." and the Navy called the "Push Button Petty Officers". neither term was meant as respectfully.