View Single Post

Old 04-26-2024, 08:14 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,109 Times in 1,023 Posts
Default Firearms you are embarrassed to admit owning

Confession time. For me is is a RG 31 in 32 Long. RGs have a bad reputation which is probably well deserved. However as they have not been imported for decades most most of the information out there is 2nd or 3rd hand.

This is the second RG I've owned. The first was a RG 38 that Ivan the Butcher gave to me. He had found it in an apartment and the crane was bent to the point it would not operate. Probably from someone flipping their wrist to close the cylinder. I repaired the revolver and sold it to a coworker who needed a cheap house gun.

The RG 31 has little going for it from a design standpoint. It has a swing out cylinder but you have to remove the cylinder pin for it to swing out, then you use the pin to punch out the empties.

Other than the fact that this RG works and I like 32s I don't know why I still own this revolver. Well, it does lock up very nicely. The fixed sights are better than any factory prewar S&W front sight I've used. My wife and I went to the range today and this was one of the forearms that I took along. I was reminded that at 25' it will hold a 2.5" group, although it prints 2" low.

So it's ugly and slow to reload but makes an acceptable truck/camping gun. The cylinder is long enough for 32 H&R and sometimes I'm tempted to rechamber it just to see how long it will hold together.

So what firearms do YOU have that your embarrassed to admit to keeping around?
The Following 3 Users Like Post: