View Single Post

Old 04-27-2024, 10:09 PM

Liked 21,948 Times in 7,048 Posts

I just remembered a gun that probably qualifies for being embarrassing to display. I was getting started in Cowboy Action Shooting and needed an appropriate shotgun. Since I wasn't exactly being overpaid I had to search hard for something I could afford. So one day I went to a gun show and somebody was selling a Stevens Model 311 double barrel 12 gauge with barrels that looked like trash. But the bores looked good and the stock looked good. The story as I remember it was that the gun was left out in the rain in an open boat. The original finish was destroyed so the former owner just cold blued the barrels. It looked like heck, but to me it was perfect, because I wouldn't ever have to worry about putting another scratch on the gun. So I bought it and still have it. And one year I went down to the Virginia State SASS Championship outside Roanoke and found a laser engraver. I proudly had the shotgun's stock engraved with my SASS alias and number "Punxsutawney Pete SASS #1286 Life" and an engraving of a groundhog. If my avatar looks familiar to you, I'm in my SASS costume.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: