View Single Post

Old 04-28-2024, 07:00 AM

Liked 17 Times in 3 Posts

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMur View Post
Jordi,
It’s definitely interesting. I’d really like to see the work done to the cylinder. The photo’s you posted just aren’t clear enough to determine what exactly was done here.

The photo of the front of the barrel definitely shows machine work with the line that “suggests” an insert. I also can’t tell for sure that the cylinder has been sleeved to alter from a 44 Russian to a 38 S&W. Likely the 38 Special if it was done in 1997. Could that 97 mean 1897? If so it could be a 38 S&W.

Really need some good close ups of the cylinder both front and back.

I just looked closely at the grip frame and it also looks like that grip frame was welded/altered as well. That sure didn’t happen in 1897. So this is a modern alteration. It must be a 38 Special.

Murph
The 1997 year comes from the P*2 proof house markings. But the caliber may be - and I think it is - a real 38 S&W. In the very late 1800s and early 1900s 38 S&W was declared official caliber for revolvers in the spanish army, because of its advantages against lefacheux cartridges. . Whoever did, or asked for, this modification intented to use a "period correct" caliber.

And we can never set aside that this work could have been done 100 years ago, and only proofed in 1997 because of any of the silly regulations implemented by our own ATF, the Intervencion Central de Armas y Explosivos"

I'll post the missing pictures when I can get them.

Salut!
Jordi

Last edited by jrdc; 04-29-2024 at 04:23 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: