View Single Post

Old 04-28-2024, 11:00 AM

Liked 12,748 Times in 3,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
I still have my 432PD, which used to be one of many “favorite dog walking guns.” It’s a nice little revolver, but what I always really wanted was a 2” Model 30-1. Never got one. But there is still time!

I don’t have a .32-caliber autoloader of any kind but wouldn’t mind warehousing a PPK, or even a PP or PPKs, if one happened to come along. Just in case, I do have a set of .32 ACP dies and a few hundred pieces of pick-up brass. Just in case…
Handloading the .32 ACP has a few quirks.

The standard for .32 ACP in the US is to load a .310 or .311 bullet into a case with comparatively thin case walls.

The standard for .32 ACP/7.65 Browning in Europe is to load a .308 or .309 bullet into a case with comparatively thick case walls.

The problems start when you start mixing .311 bullets with European cases and then combine that with a pistol that has a fairly tight chamber.

I’ve found the FEG AP7 and AP7K pistols (top) have more generous chambers and are not picky about ammo at all. Stuff a .311 or .312 cast bullet in a European case and it’ll feed the wasp waisted looking cartridge just fine.

On the other hand the Walther PP pistols below both have very tight chambers and are ammo picky. In order to get reliable feeding in those, I either have to hand sort cases by head stamp, or post size the case.

I do that using a Lee Collet style factory crimp die. They don’t make one for .32 ACP but you can use the one made for the 32 S&W long and insert a spacer below the adjustment screw to make it work with the shorter .32 ACP round. In addition to the collet it has a carbide sizing ring at the base.

I run this as a fourth die on the press after using a normal seating die for the bullet. Its sole function is to size the completed round down to minimum dimensions. Practically speaking this means it is also sizing those .311 or .312 bullets in thicker European cases down a couple thousandths of an inch while they are inside the case.

It’s by far the easiest approach if you load for a number of .32 ACP pistols.

The Following 7 Users Like Post: