View Single Post

Old 04-28-2024, 11:49 PM

Liked 5,227 Times in 1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwslate View Post
Many years ago I read an extensive magazine article about the effectiveness of small caliber weapons for SD when shots are well placed with bullets that give deep penetration. There are wounds that are considered to be unsurvivable. It isn't a matter of antibiotics. A shot completely through the large vessels at the top of the heart cannot be surgically repaired fast enough to stop the person from bleeding to death. The heart will fill the chest cavity with blood, saturating the lungs and the victim drowns in their own blood before a surgeon could open the chest cavity and even attempt to repair the wound. There are many shootings that result in death before medics even get to the scene. Caliber is unimportant. Same old story. Shot placement and penetration.
Yes. Of the two DRT handgun shootings I worked - shootee dropped at the shot and never moved again - one was a .22 LR HP that did exactly as described above. The other was a .45 ACP between the eyes. Other died at the scene or were DOA but these two were immediate incapacitation.

That being said, if the .22 had deviated by an inch or so, it could well have been survivable, the .45 I doubt. Which is why I used a .22 magnum as a last ditch 3rd gun rather than a primary.

Last edited by Buford57; 04-28-2024 at 11:57 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: