View Single Post

Old 04-29-2024, 03:27 PM

Liked 10,787 Times in 3,043 Posts

While not one of my favorites, a rarely shown but very interesting WW 2 movie is The Pursuit of the Graf Spee (1956). It is a pretty realistic portrayal of the events leading to the cornering and ultimate destruction of the Graf Spee, one of Germany's commerce-raiding armored cruisers, (called a "pocket battleship" by the Allies), tracked down by three Royal Navy cruisers and forced to scuttle itself off Montevideo early in the war.

For me, the most interesting aspect is the use of a ship that actually participated in that battle, the HMS Achilles (which at the time of filming had become the Indian Navy's INS Delhi). The Achilles was crewed by New Zealanders (and was later transferred to the New Zealand Navy), and I was able to read its log book which was on display at the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Its entries are concise and remarkably matter-of-fact at the time the Achilles was trading salvos with the Graf Spee. The only thing I noticed in the log that betrayed the excitement that must have been going on, was that the sea temperature that ordinarily would have been recorded at that time, was not taken. I wondered if some junior officer got in trouble for that omission. Somehow, I doubt it.

The "roles" of the other British ships are played by WW 2 vets. There are many scenes shot at sea, and the cinematography is first-rate. It's worth a view if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by swsig; 04-29-2024 at 09:05 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: