View Single Post

Old 04-30-2024, 12:13 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,181 Times in 3,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaher94087 View Post
I've heard that the reproduction revolver springs are too short to work in the S&W NM #3.
Then again, there just might be a fix for " too short" springs---but it helps if you pay attention to what's going on around you---never mind I don't always do that----right up until there's no choice!!

It is my practice to completely disassemble each and every new visitor, and give it a bodacious bath. Having done just that, I'm in process of putting it back together.

WHOOPS??!!!! The damn mainspring is too short-----how can that be?!!

Now this particular item is a 1st Model Single Shot. They don't get much simpler than that, so there's not much to sit and stare at; but sit and stare I did! I mean---this damn thing worked before I took it apart----why won't it go back together right?!!!

Then I saw it------a little bitty notch in the grip frame----just about a quarter of an inch above the little bitty notch the factory put in the grip frame---that would be the notch where the bottom end of the spring goes! HMMMMMMM?!!!

If you've been paying attention to all this drivel, you already know the rest of the story---goes like this: The damn mainspring is sure enough too short---it's also too thin, and too narrow----and it was all done on purpose on part of a diabolical action job which made this little single shot's action as sweet as you can imagine!!

Bottom Line: I put the bottom end of the too short spring into the too high notch---and just like that, the too short spring wasn't too short anymore---fit perfectly, and worked GREAT!!

The moral of this story is when all else fails, sit and stare. Then, if you've got a too short spring, get out a little needle file, and make a too high notch. Then stick the too short spring into the too high notch---and go play with your children's Momma!

That'll beat the hell out of messing with these guns every time!!

Ralph Tremaine

AND-----if you're too bumfuzzled by all this too short and too high business to figure out where to make your too high notch, just put your too short spring up next to a just right spring from another gun---or from a friend's gun, or wherever, and measure the difference. That difference is where your new notch goes.

Last edited by rct269; 04-30-2024 at 12:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: