View Single Post

Old 04-30-2024, 06:58 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,754 Times in 1,746 Posts

Glad she didn't end up with them coming into the room. Then the monsters would be potentially dangerous.

We had a lake house for many years. It was built in the 40's and had a low ceiling with drywall installed sometime after the original construction. One day a friend and I went up for the weekend and I noticed what looked like a small wet spot on the ceiling. I reached up and touched it thinking it was a leak. Immediately a hornet crawled out of the small hole. I sealed it with tape and we went and got some spray. Not the best way to handle it but two young guys and a couple of beers add up to silly solutions. We poked that can up in the hole and sprayed till it was empty and they kept coming out. We covered the hole and left. Later that spring my dad got an exterminator to check it out. The nest was huge, spanned the joists and was close to 4ft long. We had no idea what we were dealing with and probably were lucky they had no access to us, or I am sure we would have gotten stung a bunch. I now approach what appear to be nest entry / exits of hornets and wasps with respect.