View Single Post

Old 05-01-2024, 10:58 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,385 Times in 1,949 Posts

I will post the valuation from SCSW4, which dates from 2016, so the valuations are dated now. Also, in the Biden economy, just because a valuation is from 8 years ago doesn’t mean it has necessarily increased over those 8 years. The valuations given are not retail, but suggestive of what to expect in a gun show type setting when both buyer and seller are motivated. ANIB is Ad New in Box. My example is as close as one might expect to that. I didn’t pay that much for it, this being listed as $2800. My photograph is from page 181 of SCSW4.

Also on page 181, it states that in 1930, Smith & Wesson made a few prototypes chambered in .38 Colt Super to test the market in Mexico and South America. I’m guessing mine and some, or all, Heavy Duty boxes had printing in Spanish in case a manufactured revolver was destined for the Mexican or South American market.

EDIT: This photograph I posted states above the values that this model shipped 1930 to 1935 in maroon boxes and from 1935 to 1940 in blue picture boxes. As mine shipped in July 1934, it’s either just A box and not THE box or mine is one of the first ones to ship in a blue picture box.

This box looks very similar to the Registered Magnum box. I’m guessing that the Registered Magnum box was created leading to the design change of this one, the Registered Magnum coming out in 1935. Or the design change in boxes started in 1934 with the Heavy Duty from which the Registered Magnum box was created.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2877.jpg (73.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by mrcvs; 05-01-2024 at 11:04 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: