View Single Post

Old 05-01-2024, 10:34 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,545 Times in 2,858 Posts

What I know about boxes, especially from those earlier than WWII fills a very small piece of paper. But, we know the timeframe of the box change and the service grips became, or could depending on one's druthers, magnas at about the same time.

If 1935 is when the first magnas shipped and the first Reg. Mag. style blue boxes too then it seems unlikely that a 1934 shipped gun would have 1935 features or box. Maybe someone will know when the last old style box shipped and the first new style went out the door but I doubt it. We're told that S&W never threw anything away and used up inventory even after change orders were in place.

The box looks good, the gun even better. I'd be happy with it as it is and if I never knew for sure I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Hopefully someone who actually knows will come along and tell us that the first new blue boxes shipped in 1934. The picture on the box shows a HD with service style grips doesn't it? I'd think S&W would have wanted to put the latest and greatest grips on the picture on the new box if introducing the box at the same time as a new style grip. So perhaps the new blue box for HDs was out before magna grips were available?

Jeff
SWCA #1457

Last edited by 22hipower; 05-01-2024 at 10:47 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: