View Single Post

Old 05-01-2024, 11:53 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,437 Times in 605 Posts

Okay, time for the back story.
The model 19 was owned by a gentleman down the street from me and when he died his widow wanted to sell his guns. I was prepared to pay upwards of seven bills for it, but she wanted to have it valued by a gun store. I told her to not let anyone touch it or rotate the cylinder, and if they tried she was to put her hand on top and tell them not to touch.

She took it to an LGS about 20 miles away and set the box on the counter. She is a rather timid person and I know she was or would be intimidated by the men in the store.

Some local idjit opened the box lifted the revolver from the box and spun the cylinder. It was NIB with no marks of any kind. The only thing the original owner did was take it out of the box about once a year and wipe it down with a silicone wipe.

She came home and when I saw the marks on the cylinder, I told her it was a $700.00 pistol when she left but it was a $400 dollar gun now. And I explained why and how it had gone down in value. I bought it for $400.00 and also a Weatherby .243 win MK5 Vanguard for the same amount. Same thing and the same idjit. It had a bolt that had never been cycled. If I could find that idjit I'd wrap a 2X4 about 7 feet long around his head a couple of times.

NO, I was not taking advantage of her, even though I was tempted too.

I sold the Weatherby but the M19 sits in the dungeon wrapped in the original paper in the original box with all the tools and I take it out about once every 5 years and check it for dust. The M19, 6", an M-59, an M-10, 6" and two other like new pistols with the appropriate ammo are all in a 20mm ammo box. Only on the dryest days of the year, when the temp is hovering at about minus 10deg F and has been there for a couple of days do I open the ammo box.