View Single Post

Old 05-02-2024, 09:49 AM

Liked 853 Times in 595 Posts

I learned to shoot with a colt huntsman when I was a 6 year old back in 1961 and my dad use to give me a hard time about how and when to operate a thumb safety . If your not ready to shoot leave the safety on safe and that worked well for my younger years as that old colt has a 2lb trigger pull with basically no take up or over travel .

I did not get my first ccl till '86 but I has 10 years shooting a gi style 1911 mostly for fun and a little time hog hunting with it so handgun safety started taking a different approach for CCl on drawing and when to disengage and reengaging the thumb safety . I hunted mostly around older men and some were LE's so my handgun safety was watched and corrected by LE officers even shooting on the sheriffs range at times for some years and was watched and corrected as needed by old officers or the instructor when I brough my 1911.

I spotted a video that's shows how and when to disengage a thumb safety and when to reengage it . Simple and to the point video .
But If your do not train using a thumb safety you should not carry a pistol with one till your very reliable using it .

Only change to video below you should practice retention drills and thumbing the safe off will be slight earlier in the drawing and when starting to rotating forward but pressing out !

Last edited by hardluk1; 05-02-2024 at 09:54 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: