View Single Post

Old 05-02-2024, 11:11 AM

Liked 6,476 Times in 2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2 View Post
I have no idea why a rubber compound grip would cause any sort of rust unless palm sweat or something gets trapped under. Most of my Smiths are stainless so not really a problem. Maybe there is some kind of contamination of the grips such as mold release compounds etc. that is left from the factory. But if you got a blue gun, take off the grips once in awhile and clean and apply protection to the covered part of the frame.
I'll have to take a picture of my 657 that has pitting under the grips. It came to me in a bit of rough condition and wearing Houges. It's not the only "Stainless" gun I've seen with rust. But conditions that would destroy a carbon steel gun will only cause relatively minor superficial damage to stainless guns.

I use Pachmayr grips on all my guns. I started using them decades ago during the "Golden Age of Magnum Revolvers" and have just stuck with them.

I have actually worn out a couple of pairs. They can split on the corners at the top of the backstrap after years of taking recoil. They can also wear on the inside at the top area (under your thumb) and rub through the rubber exposing the steel, which will leave a buff mark on your frame. By default I clean them well in that area and trim a piece of electrical tape to fit over it. If you try that you'll find the tape will slowly twist a little, which shows you there's some movement.