View Single Post

Old 05-02-2024, 09:24 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
Not a question of pressure or damage to the gun, but in my opinion you would be better off using Buffalo Bore 38 Spl. +P "heavy" 158 grain LSWCHP-GC. They move out of a 1 7/8" Chief's Spl. barrel at 1,025 fps. I have personally chronographed them many many times and that is no exaggeration!

Recoil recovery is much faster for follow up shots, accuracy of the BB bullet is superb and POA = POI out of most M60's & M36's while pressure is lower and causes less metal stretching over time. The noise level is much lower (important to you if shots are fired inside a car or house), muzzle flash is a lot less than the magnum load and the BB 158 gr. +P's have proven themselves over the years. From a 2" barrel, the BB round could actually have a greater muzzle velocity as well - much of the gun powder of the magnum loading is being burned outside of the barrel so it is not adding to the propulsion of the projectile. Magnums were NEVER designed for 2" barrels, 6" barrels were their intended usage.

IMHO shooting 357 magnums out of a 2" barreled gun is self defeating, but obviously you are free to do what you want - your gun. Please borrow a chronograph if you don't own one and test the 158 grain magnum's velocity out of your revolver. If the actual velocity (not what is stated on the box as they do not rate them for 2" bbls) is the same or less than the Bufffalo Bore 38 special loading, then you have proof you are not carrying the best load for that gun. I can pretty much tell you that here but I doubt you would believe me. Even if it is the same or just slightly more, there is still no advantage because of all the negatives listed above. Remember, for a bullet's speed to increase, powder must be burned inside an enclosed tube to propel the bullet to greater speeds. While the huge muzzle flash might be something to look at - it can also cause temporary night blindness and retard follow up shots. IMHO, Magnum's out of 2" barrels are not optimal at all. The BB load is absolutely excellent. BTW, I have no association with BB what so ever and have no horse in this race. This has been my experience and have never carried 357 magnums in a 2" barreled gun since actually testing them against BB +P Heavy rounds. A minimum effective barrel length for 158 grain mag's is 3" and longer. 6-8" is optimal.
Well stated, for all those reasons BB 158 grain LSWCHP-GC has been in my pocket for years. Not fun to shoot out of a lightweight snub /but its not a range toy.
Plus- They use low flash powder, and a lead bullet can be reach higher velocity than jacketed with in the pressure envelope -most notable in short barrels. (i also like 148/150 wadcutters at 7-800 fps.)- those make it a fun "range toy".
Smiles, Mike
The Following 2 Users Like Post: