View Single Post

Old 05-03-2024, 10:23 PM

Liked 519 Times in 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbm6893 View Post
I’ve been hearing the “striker fired guns don’t need a safety” repeated over and over so often over the years that I’m convinced it is just people repeating what they hear and read so they sound experienced. Add in the inevitable “my safety is between my ears” and “keep your booger hook off the bang switch” and I’m convinced of it.
I believe much of the mythology about striker-fired guns began with Glock's early sales efforts in the law enforcement market. Glock emphasized to LE administrators they didn't have to worry about accidental discharge liability because Glocks had DAO triggers, which was also why Glocks didn't need manual safeties. Then Glock emphasized to LE evaluators like firearms instructors that Glocks had relatively light and consistent trigger pulls that required less training than DA/SA guns and that Glocks did not have manual safeties so that part of training was eliminated. Glock's sales efforts were successful; administrators were happy to avoid liability, instructors were happy to simplify training, and LEOs got simpler guns with triggers pulls that were very slightly longer and heavier than the SA triggers on previous DA/SA guns.

The Glock "story" was the basis for claiming striker-fired guns did not need manual safeties. During ensuing decades, striker-fired guns had their trigger pulls shortened and their trigger pull weights reduced. The trigger changes were so slow and incremental that the manual safety story was easy to keep alive for each new change. Today, many striker-fired guns have absolutely single-action triggers with pull weights below 5 pounds.

When I started shooting, anyone who would have carried a cocked single-action pistol with a sub-5lb trigger for defensive purposes -without using a manual safety- would have been universally labelled a total idiot and a mishap waiting to happen. Somehow over the last half century, shooters have become so much smarter and more careful that they no longer need manual safeties.

Last edited by gc70; 05-03-2024 at 10:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: