View Single Post

Old 05-04-2024, 03:11 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,628 Times in 1,356 Posts

Here is serial number 44302, a .38 round butt 1902 1st change. The first images are how it looked in the auction catalog, and as I received it. The front sight blade is a non-factory brass blade. The grips are some sort of awful plastic material, and will convert either round or square butt to target.

The next two pictures were taken at the auction house, and show a real mess. Solder was piled up in various places on the grip frame, along with lots of rust.

I gambled that the solder was probably for some sort of mounting of a butt stock, and I was right, as far as I could tell. A torch and steel wool removed almost all the solder, and some elbow grease with more steel wool, removed most of the rest of the solder. I swapped out the brass front sight blade for a period Patridge blade.

After a lot of cleaning of the rest of the gun, plus darkening the remaining bits of solder, and having Curtis Harlow work on a pair of wood stocks, the gun is back to be being very presentable. There is some blue missing on the barrel and elsewhere. The next two pictures show what it looks like today.

Regards, Mike Priwer

Last edited by mikepriwer; 05-04-2024 at 03:16 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: