View Single Post

Old 05-06-2024, 12:04 PM

Liked 652 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 shooter View Post
I'd even bet a couple dollars! I owned a 6.5" 29 Classic and currently a 6.5" 629-5 Classic and accuracy tested both with scopes from a rest and did not find it hard to get groups like those that I have seen on DX test targets that others have posted.

As to the exceptionally accurate Classics pulled from the production line to become DXs ,how would they know what guns were going to be the most accurate while they were still on the production line?

I don't feel like I have a lesser gun with the standard Classic in any way , either Classic or Classic DX will likely be exceptionally accurate revolvers.
I've said this for a long time. These were "deluxe" guns, not accurized, not culled from the herd as the MOST accurate of all the other guns (this isn't even feasible on a production line). The reason they were DX guns is because they started life as a regular 29/629, were specially lasered as DX, test fired by hand including the test target, included Morado wood combat grips and an assortment of alternate sight blades. That was it.

You can look at it from an economic angle as well, PRICE! Look at the price differences between the standard Model 29/629 at the time and the DX model. As I recall, these were only about 100-150 higher. For that miniscule of a price difference, it further supports the notion this was only to absorb the added cost of $70 wood grips, $35 sights, and extra time/labor to test fire each and package with a target.

There's a tremendous amount of mis-information about the DX's, mostly coming from sellers trying to fool people who don't know any better. That said, Are they collectible? YES! Are they limited production: YES! Are they worth more to collectors due to the limited production: YES. But they are not accurized, performance center, or "the most accurate guns" by any means.

IC
The Following 3 Users Like Post: