View Single Post

Old 05-07-2024, 09:40 PM

Liked 6,217 Times in 1,330 Posts
Default Route 66

This morning we began our 3 week sojourn down Route 66.

I am using an app, Route 66 navigation. It cost $59 to activate yesterday for a year. I am still getting used to the apps eccentricities, some of which are driving us both a bit crazy (or more crazy than normal). To start with the vocal guidance is very unsophisticated, almost robotic. And if you finish a section and move on a bit, the app insists on taking you back to the beginning of the new section. It also is nowhere as up to date with road closures as Google or iMaps as we found out when it tried three times to send us across a closed bridge in Joliet.

But there are advantages too. I spent weeks working out turn by turn directions which, it turns out, would have meant missing some awsum things.

We were diverted through some small towns, just off the current Route 66 but on the original road, and also got to see a few hidden gems. But first…..

As we were leaving Chicago we could see black clouds ahead (west) of us. Then the lightning. And finally the rain. By the time we got to Joliet the rain had stopped, and a little later the sun was out.

Illinois had a lot of Route 66 that, at some time, wad divided four lanes. The westbound lanes have been closed and are now overgrown, while the east bound ones are now single lanes in each direction.

As we passed through small town after small town I kept stopping to take photos.

At Pontiac we checked out the Route 66 Hall, of Fame together with the Bob Waldmire bus and mural. Further west, around Chenoa, we saw a “family restaurant” so stopped in. The coffee was great and the food good. I had chicken and shells soup and a rib eye sandwich, while Karen had the full club. And we took some with us for dinner.

We ended up stopping overnight in Bloomington and this evening we had a nice visit from max and his wife Chris, who bought us some unexpected gifts. I just wish we could have reciprocated. Karen was feeling a bit under the weather and was enjoying time in the bathroom unfortunately when they visited, but she greatly appreciated the special Rout 66 Illinois cookbook.

Tomorrow we will bake the drive to St Louis where we will stay for several nights, and catch up with gary.stl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (68.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (119.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (119.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0187.jpg (130.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0189.jpg (79.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Kiwi cop; 05-07-2024 at 09:46 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: