View Single Post

Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

JamesD,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your photos and memories with us. This has been mentioned before, so excuse me if this is redundant, but one thing I've done ever since I was young was to completely clean the firearm - including removing the furniture if possible, and then applying a few coats of wax to the outer surfaces - especially the areas covered by stocks and/or grips. I would do this at least twice a year with good results. I used Turtle wax, or whatever was in the garage, but other forum members have reported using Johnson's wax, or Renaissance brand wax. In over 40 years of usage, I've never had any rust on amy of my firearms. As far as your revolver is concerned, I'd go by the old rule of "use it, but don't abuse it".

Also, your exchange with Al reminded me of the story of the fresh-out-of-medical school doctor and his routine annual office visit with one of his first patients (Pt), an elderly, but obviously healthy gentleman:

MD: Sir, before I get started, I just wanted to compliment you on your observing and following good health habits. I was telling my nurse that you have the lab tests and EKG results of a man in his early 20's. Just out of curiosity, how old was your father when he passed?

Pt: Wait a minute, when did my dad die? What do you know that I don't?

MD: Oh, forgive me sir, I just assumed that given your age, your father had already passed on. I am sorry for that mistake, but I am now wondering what do you attribute your, as well as your father's great health?

Pt: Dad and I are both farmers and always have been. We farm next door to each other, and both of us work everyday. Dad also teaches part-time at the local community college as well.

MD: Well, just out of curiosity, how old was his father when he passed away?

Pt: Who said anything about Grand Dad being dead? He's as healthy as a horse, and in fact, he just married a nice young lady a couple of months ago.

MD: Sir, I do apologize to you again, but at the same time, I can't but wonder why a gentleman of his obvious advanced age would ever want to get married.

Pt: Who said he wanted to get married?

Best of luck,

Dave