Thread: FBI 1076
View Single Post

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by KKG:
G-ManBart; you have chosen to speak out against many of my Posts and I'm not interested in giving you anything that might be used against me in a Court of your own choosing!!!

I don't publish my own loading data because there are too many people out there who will use it as a place to start.
I haven't chosen to "speak out against many of your posts". If I've disagreed I've done so politely, with facts. Heck, I've agreed with you in other threads, it's just that I don't agree with you in this case and have asked a legitimate question you don't seem willing to back up with data. I suspect that the particular load you might be referring to would clearly be well beyond published data...it almost certainly would have to be if you've seen the numbers you're talking about.

It's not a popularity contest and it's not about personal pride here....get over yourself man. There was no insult or offense, so there's no need to act like there was. Too bad there wasn't a 1200fps .45acp club that you could join and add that to your signature line....lol (yes, that was a joke, relax)

No matter how much I love the .45acp, it can't do what a 10mm can and stay within SAAMI specs and I simply don't believe a person reloading with cannister grade powder is going to get 1200fps out of a 185gr bullet at anywhere near SAAMI MAP. If someone wants to go off the charts and load the equivalent of proof loads, it might work, but it's not a real smart thing to try.

Using Hodgdon's reloading data center as a baseline (Hodgdon, Win and IMR powders for a decent cross section) they only list a single load with a 185 that breaks 1100fps (1150). The same data for 10mm shows loads approaching 1300fps (1287) with a 4.6" rather than 5" barrel. Even up the barrel length and the 10 is going to have an even bigger margin.

Further, if someone wants to handload beyond book levels to get their .45acp to near 10mm factory performance, the same person could load 10mm to beyond book levels just the same...in the end the 10mm is going to be more powerful any way you cut it.

No matter how you cut it, pressure is pressure. .45acp+P is a 23,000psi cartridge. 10mm is 37,500psi. If we're pushing similar bullets out similar length barrels there's simply no way you can get more or even roughly equal velocity using less pressure. 14,500psi difference is simply too much a gap to fill.

It's not a good thing, a bad thing or an insult, it's just the way it is. .45acp is great, 10mm is great, I own both, and they are both more than capable for their intended purposes, but to suggest that the .45acp can, in any way, equal the performance of the 10mm is just silly....can't happen. R,