View Single Post

Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 PM

Liked 630 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
What is Tannerite?
Tannerite is the brand name of a so-called "binary" explosive, sold as "exploding targets" for which it is eminently suited. It comes as vials of a nitrate compound, into which is mixed a catalyst of some sort. The vials (which have a convenient orange label for aiming) are refilled with the mixture, which is not very sensitive or flammable, but detonates violently upon impact of a centerfire rifle bullet, with an attendant chest-thumping shock wave and a very loud concussion which echoes very satisfactorily around rocky canyons! I commend it to everyone! It doesn't seem to create a fire hazard, but it will damage anything in close proximity, such as plants, or what have you. Like any explosive, it can do "work" such as wrecking stuff, scattering debris, etc. If ever I can find the right, safe, location, I want to try touching off a vial of Tannerite taped to can of a gasoline or propane tank with a burning highway flare nearby --- should replicate a fuel/air explosive...

I see knock-off explosive targets offered at local gun shows, but the only examples I've actually witnessed didn't equal the brand-name product.

Google it --- product info, plenty of You-Tube, etc. Have fun!