View Single Post

Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,702 Times in 2,624 Posts

The range rod set I got from Brownells has three different .22 heads in it. Can someone explain the differences to me?

One is marked .22C, or possibly .226; the stamping is so tight it is hard to read. Another is marked K-22 .22; the third has no markings at all, which I am provisionally taking to mean that is the stock .22LR head.

I suppose I could dig out a micrometer and find out which one is .222, which .223 and which .224, if those are indeed the relevant diameters. But I am not sure which head is appropriate for which S&W revolvers. (Not that this is a tough question for me at the moment, since my only S&W .22 is a Model 53.)

As an aside, I will note that the range rod set was a little disappointing. Some of the heads were not marked at all, which is no problem when there are clear diameter differences. But the two .32 heads are unmarked, so I don't know at a glance which is for .32-20 and which for .32 S&W/H&R Magnum (the specs from the Brownells web site). The .44-40 head is also unmarked, but can be identified by elimination. Also, a couple of the heads had either soot or some kind of thick oily residue on them that needed to be cleaned off before I could use them. I'm not complaining about the straightness of the rod handles or the apparent consistent diameter of the different heads. But, boy, this kit could have used some quality control and user-friendliness testing before it was boxed and set out for sale.

David Wilson